Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Pretty as a Picture


It occurs to me that folks may actually want to hear more about adoption and less about my housing crisis (ok, it’s not really a crisis, it just feels big and I’m being a bit dramatic about it). So here’s a bit more about adoption.

Adoption is a beautiful thing. 

There are children out there, through no fault of their own, in need of a home; a forever family.  There are families out there, like mine, who have the square feet, the mental and emotional energy, and the space in their life to extend themselves and absorb such a child into their family. 

Care for the orphans and widows is pure and faultless religion (James 1:27).

We have two biological children.  We had always talked about adding to our family after 2 bio kids through adoption.  Both I and my husband have adoptive cousins.  We are also both environmentally-minded and though it may sound kind of dumb to you, not adding to the expanding human population past creating our own replacements is a value we hold (some adults have even signed pledges to reduce the world’s population by not having biological kids).  So, because we have always had this plan, our kids have heard about it since day 1.  They were on-board with the adoption plan.  It affects the family as a unit; it’s something we took on as a unit.   

Remember the movie Lilo and Stitch (Disney 2002)?  In this film, an alien (Stitch) falls from the sky and comes in contact with a little girl (Lilo), an orphan, being taken care of (poorly) by her older sister.  The theme of the movie is Ohana – family – which, according to Wikipedia (2019) is part of Hawaiian culture with the intended meaning to include blood-related or adoptive famliy and in-laws, friends, and neighbors.  The idea being that we are bound together and everyone must work together and not forget each other.

Beautiful, right? 

We’re all connected; we’re Ohana.  We need to care for each other.  We can’t forget each other.  Can you say, “Kingdom of God?” 

Acts 2:44-47 New Living Translation (NLT)

44 And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had.45 They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. 46 They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity. 47 all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.

But, but, but, but…  BUT.   There’s a big but here.

As with the perfectly planned Christmas morning… it sounds good; but it ain’t gonna go the way you think. 

People are… human.

We are grouchy.  We are selfish.  We say things we shouldn’t. We don’t share. We like to c.o.n.t.r.o.l.

So, yes, Ohana is beautiful and adoption is a beautiful thing (big picture). But in the day-to-day.  It’s tough.  It’s draining.  It’s tiring. It’s ugly at times.

I always thought I was emotionally mature and aware enough that when that sweet little Stitch fell from the sky and crashed into my house, I’d be able to embrace him and his differences and love him fully and completely.

But, in real life, when little Stitch fell from the sky and crashed into my house… I was not a happy camper.  No one is really ok with small aliens crashing into their house.  Ok, no, no, not fair.  Some people are ok with small aliens crashing into their house.  I was not.  I am not ok with small aliens crashing the house, breaking the toaster, eating all the food, running amok.  This is something I have learned about myself.  The problem is, small aliens do not know that they are being so inconsiderate.  So, I felt invaded, 24 hours a day (‘cause small aliens don’t sleep well either) but with no way to explain ‘courtesy’ to an alien. 

Does that mean that I have changed my mind and no longer think adoption a beautiful thing?  Did I make a huge mistake? 

No.

Adoption is still a beautiful thing.  It is still a very-really, tangible, way to show God’s love here, now, in an important way to a vulnerable member of society.  But I also have a lot of realism.  Big-picture, adoption is beautiful.  Day-to-day, it is a mess!

We all have baggage.  Adopted kids have a monogrammed set.  It’s just part of the deal. 

When people say, “Oh, this is such a great thing you guys are doing.”

I think, “hmm, if only you saw me pulling my hair out and screaming like a crazy person yesterday.”

I guess that’s a lot of motherhood though.  Babies are sweet and cute but 2am diaper changes and bleeding nipples are not.  Adoption just brings with it a special set of flies in the ointment.  Maybe next time I’ll let you know about some of the special flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment