Thursday, September 4, 2014

Dill Pickles

This is my first summer making pickles.  I love them.  I love making them.  I'm just not sure how many pickles I need in my life.  I'm tempted to go conservative and let my one go at bread and butter chips and my one go at dill chips be enough.  Oh, and I also have some fermenting in the pantry.  I almost forgot.  So, three batches.  Three batches of pickles should be enough for one season, right?  The real question is, will I be able to restrain myself?

I should clarify.  I've been reading up on pickling.  And, technically, I'm making pickled cucumbers.  A "pickle" can be anything.  I've only done cucumbers so far.  I fully intend to try cabbage later and I am tempted to try some beets.  Remembering back, I did pickle some pears last year- they were TERRIBLE.  And, Kar and I pickled green beans and garlic this year - which I haven't tried yet. 

Pickles are additionally tricky because the flavor changes over time.  It seems that most pickles need a minimum of six weeks but may become utterly disgusting after four to six months.  Complex.  Maybe that's why I'm enjoying them so. 

1 comment:

  1. Update: The fermented pickles were not so great. Very salt!

    ReplyDelete