Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Acorn Squash

We harvested acorn squash today.  Since I already learned earlier in the year that they don't keep as well as other squashes, I waited to harvest them until I had a fair number.  I decided that I would just  roast them all together and then freeze the scooped-out guts. 

Acorn Squash (basic)

Acorn squash

Half the squash and scoop out the guts.  Place skin-up in a baking dish and fill with 1.5 in water.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until a fork punctures it easily.  Allow to cool before scooping out flesh. Flesh can be frozen for later use.

I also had the pleasure of roasting the seeds. 

Squash Seeds

Squash seeds
Oil (canola)
Salt and pepper

Rinse seeds to remove squash residue.  Mix seeds with oil, salt and pepper.  Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.  If seeds start to brown, mix and flip them on the baking sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment