Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Green Beans

This year was my first year growing green beans.  I grew bush beans (which don't need support) and climbing beans (which do need support and, therefore, are not usually commercially grown).  Green beans are great to grow.  They grow easily, add nitrogen to the soil and have a small footprint.  Every time I grow something new in the garden, I make a discovery.  What I discovered about green beans was very important:  I'm the only one in my family who likes green beans!  I don't know how this is possible.  They are not an offensive vegetable, but there you have it.  Beautiful beans, and I'm the only eater.  It's one thing if a veggie is easy to grow, but if it's easy to grow and no one eats it, then what's the point?  Lucky for me, I am resourceful when it comes to veggies.



Sauteed Green Beans
by Gretchen Gingerich

Green Beans

Chop green beans.  Saute in your favorite fat with salt.  Viola!



Frozen Green Beans
by Gretchen Gingerich

Green Beans

Chop green beans.  Dump into boiling water for 30 seconds (blanch).  Freeze in a double layer plastic self-sealing bag.



Dilly Beans
by Gretchen Gingerich
makes 4 pints

Everyone's favorite bean pickle!

2 lbs Green Beans
5 Cups white vinegar
1/2 Cup pickling salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes
8 tsp dill seed (not the green part)
8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

Chop green beans and pack into clean, warm canning jars with red pepper, dill seed, and garlic cloves. Leave 1/2 inch head-space.

Bring vinegar and salt to a boil.

Pour hot brine over beans leaving 1/2 inch head-space.

Process in a hot-water bath for 5 minutes according to conventional USDA canning recommendations.  Let the pickles rest and cure for at least 2 weeks before opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment