Monday, November 3, 2014

Green Tomato... soup


Green Tomato soup is the perfect post trick-or-treating meal.  Put it in a slow-cooker, have some delicious bread on hand, it warms you up AND looks kind of spooky.  I got my base recipe from A Householders Guide to the Universe, one of the books I have been devouring this year.  It takes the reader month by month in the garden and kitchen for a full year's guide of what to be growing, harvesting, and "putting up."  And, remarkably, it's written by a woman from Portland, Oregon, so her descriptions of the season are right on for my garden. 

Green Tomato Soup

Green Tomatoes
Salt, to taste
Vinegar, to taste
Umami, to taste


Simmer green tomatoes until reduced.  Add something vinegary.  I used spicy, pickled garlic and bread and butter pickles.  Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.  Add something umami.  I used chopped Italian sausage.  Salt to taste.      

No comments:

Post a Comment